Monday 25 August 2014

AND by the way...

Just got word today the motor is ready to be picked up. Early ! Woohoo! We will go down tomorrow and get it. The compartment is ready for it.

On a different note, I picked up a book in Tobermory called An Interview with Paul Watson. It is without a doubt, the scariest book I have ever read. Everyone who is a boater of any sort; or who likes to swim; or eat fish; or who likes to breathe should read this book. The man started Greenpeace and when Greenpeace went big business and started helping poachers and whale hunters, he quit and formed the Sea Shepherd.

Our oceans and waterways are dying and if we don’t stop the pollution and the indiscriminate slaughter of ocean life, the planet will die... and that means us. It may not be in my lifetime or yours but your children and their children will suffer. 

As I write this, I realize that I am sitting here in the middle of the Salmon Derby where hundreds of fisherman come every year to kill fish for the opportunity to win a new boat or a whole pile of fishing stuff to replace the stuff that they already have. Thousands of plastic beer cups and bottles and cans are being generated.

 The irony is not lost on me and there isn’t much that I can do about it. However, I have resolved once more to try to make sure that whatever I have to buy comes in glass or metal...a true biodegradable container, and I will attempt to purchase clothes made only of pure cotton or linen, wool or silk. And how many clothes do we really need??

So, please read the book, and if you can’t handle reality, try The Neverending Quest. by Susan Corey, a marine biologist who has researched the fields of chemical warfare, ocean degradation and other science topics rolled into one compelling  mystery that also will scare the daylights out of you!



No comments: