Sunday 12 March 2017

Day three- Cave tour and Dig site

Yesterday we had a lot of fun. Susan divided us into three groups and we split up to go to the various venues: the caves and the dig site. When she found out Rick and I had been archaeologists, she split us up to so we could talk to the various groups about the dig...like we would know more, but...


The Hamilton cave is truly awesome...it's where the original Lucayans lived and sheltered. It's where the local people his for years from hurricanes until the government deemed them unsafe. It is filled with bugs...mostly cockroaches and millipedes[no spiders thank god!] and 8 species of bats. Luckily for me there were many accesses to the outside world but I stuck like glue to Leonard,the guide and he teased me all the way through about being claustrophobic and him not remembering how to get back out,. The cave has over 3000 feet of mapped tunnels that go under the island...he owns it and he has never explored them all.

After the cave, we met up with Al and switched vehicles. Susan left me with the group Al was driving around and after he showed me where the site was, he made me lead the group while he sat on the beach! The dig site was just a cleared spot in the "bush" that had been dug up and filed in but I knew enough about it to be able to explain it.

We went to lunch at a resort in Clarence Town and then some of the last group opted to go to the smaller caves..Rick went but I didn't. I went back on the bus and we met one of the local politicians who gave us a talk about the upcoming election. I waited at the bar near the dinghy dock for Rick to come back then we went to the beach for Goodbyes and Sundowners again. IN the midst of that Jeanne and I decided we needed to eat so we coerced Susan and Al to drive us to  a place to eat a and we went to tiny's a great restaurant at the end of Thompson Bay. The dropped us back at the beach around 10 and we talked with the last of the boaters for awhile, then came home to bed. Missed the time change and missed the net this morning but had a great visit with Susan and Al until noon.
Okay this is probably really boring so just look at the pictures. They're all mixed up but you get the gist.











No comments: