Monday 1 May 2017

Getting ready to leave

April 30
I have been terrible at keeping this post up since the regatta. Part of the reason is because I have been busy with wrap up things, like closing out the books, contacting our sponsors and delivering thank-you's.  We've also been having meetings with the local sailing officials about imminent changes to next year's schedule.

But mostly because I can't believe anyone really cares about what's going on down here with us, or with the surrounding people.
So here's the short version...

Rick spent a couple of days trying to fix a boat for one of the local kids who runs the conch shack on Chat n Chill Beach.

Family Island Regatta was huge again this year. We watched the races from the dinghy and from shore. The winds for the past month have been wild...more than 20 knots all the time. It has hampered man boats because some can't sail in winds that high. We were planning to leave before the end of Regatta, but Blue Heavens has been having trouble with their fuel and engines and wants a buddy-boat to go with them because they haven't taken the boat out of the harbour in three years, so they are a bit nervous.
Since April 15th, when another boat, DeJarlo left, I have been the Net Controller. That means I get up and check the weather sites and tide tables and then act as moderator for the morning radio show at 8 am every morning. It was kind of intimidating since everyone is depending on the weather and I always felt, while I was reading it, that the crappy weather was my fault!

The last beach party for us

choppy waters and high winds

lined up along the new dock

rainy racing day

sometimes there's more power boats than sailboats

Beautiful carving sitting on a tree stump in the schoolground

Look out! Here they come!

Resting sailboats

Around again

The Royal Bahamian Police Band -fantastic!


We are all planning to leave tomorrow morning...the winds are finally dropping, the seas are settling down and we NEED to get out of here! I am anxious to go home and see my siblings, my kids and my grandkids!


No comments: