Monday 16 September 2024

PETERBOROUGH

 TOday is...? the 16th? Monday? It was along day with lots of locks, which are very tiring, especially dodging power boats!


We are at the top of the PeterboroughLift Lock. Not great spot for someone who is afraid of heights [me!] Last night was horrid! The road underneath the lock is not a residential road so unpatrolled. Until midnight there were racing cars [real racing cars!!] running up and down the road and backfiring under the bridge. Thank god these people weren't in boats!!!
People climb up here for the view, so there were a lot of pedestrians, but a threesome came up around 8 pm and they were all stoned - around mid 20's I'd guess. Tried to ignore them and the language but at one point I looked out and the one staggering around the most and swearing was carrying a baby!!! It was about 2 months old in a chest pack. I don't know what they were doing but when they realized that there were people on the boat [that's how stoned they were - "OMG there's people on it. I thought it just floated up here"] they staggered back down the hill. That baby never made a sound - I can't even tell you if it was alive. I should have called 911 but I didn't and I'll always regret that.

I'm hoping today will be better. We are heading straight through, not stopping in Peterborough and moving as fast as we can. If all goes well, we can be in Trenton tomorrow night. We'll probably spend a day getting ready to go down to Long Point to cross Lake Ontario. Time to go!

No comments: