Thursday 24 December 2015

December 25

December 25, 2015

This is a special post for my family:

From 1967 until 2004, except for probably 5 years, I had spent every Christmas with a very special family...my second mother, Aunt Muriel and my Greenwood cousins. Christmas at her house was like being in a Victorian novel. My Aunt loves Christmas and no-one does it as good as she did (No, Julie... you are a close second, but...) Dickens couldn't have described it better! And the best part was the feeling of joy, fun and love that permeated. I began living there when I was 17, going to university. My aunt and uncle always made room for people who couldn't get home for Christmas; whether they were from Britain, USA or the other end of the country.

As her kids and I acquired spouses and children; and when my brother Ted and his family were back in the city, they were added to the mix. The dining room seem to grow to accommodate everyone. It was almost mandatory that we all be there, and I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. I miss you, Auntie Em, and all the wonderful memories you made for me. Thank you!

Her daughter, cousin Carolyn , inadvertently created a new tradition one year by announcing that everyone should come out to the Schultz house in the country on Boxing Day to snowshoe. From that one suggestion, we made Boxing Day our day for friends and family. Our extended families were huge! There were times when there were 50 people there through the day, and lots of our friends found out that they already knew each other! Everyone we knew was invited to snowshoe, play road hockey, or just eat and be merry! And we did every year for 15 years!

After we moved down to Southern Ontario to follow our daughter and her family, I got re-acquainted with the rest of my siblings as adults. We had many stressful times dealing with the death of Mom and Dad, and almost losing Joe, but we had lots of good times together.  Having grandkids made Christmas even more special, so thank you Liz for giving us three great kids!
 If I could scoop all of you together I would keep you all with me. I miss you guys and know that you are all in my heart.


I know that I am spending Christmas in Paradise with my best friend and the love of my life, but I miss you all so much and ...there's no place like home!

No comments: