Saturday 17 October 2015

Saturday Oct 17

Saturday Oct 17
Yesterday was quite busy. We got the new vents installed over the pantry and the "den", or Q's room now. They are passive vents, just to let the heat out.  Rick cut the holes and I installed them.
 I also made the bug spray...this is bizarre but it WORKS!  I didn't let the beer go stale but I frothed it to remove the carbonation.  If you google it [I can't find the notebook where I wrote the formula] ... "mouthwash bug spray"...it will give you the complete instructions. I sprayed the boat and the ground around it and we have no mosquitoes here now. Everything smells like mouthwash or someone who's been drinking beer and chewing gum, but it 's safe and non-toxic. It doesn't kill them [I don't think] but they're gone!!!
We took the rudders off and drained them. Now we need to find out where the water was getting in. And Rick finally got the drive completely apart. I am scraping and cleaning the sealing surfaces and he is checking all the bearings.
We met Quentin's new friend Daniel's parents, Ben and Kerry. They have a 45ft. Morgan called Saltshaker, which is going in the water today. As we were passing the boat, they were trying to install the rudder so Rick stopped to help and I was talking to Kerry. She was also a teacher and worked with adults and high school kids, but they pulled their kids [Daniel 11 and Pace 8 ] out of school because she didn't like the quality or the dangerous conditions of rural schools in S. Carolina . they are also heading to the Exumas and we have been trading information about people and places. They are also friends of Adam, the sail maker in Lady's Island Marina!! Small world!
Today I will finish the screens, and cleaning the rudders. Quentin and I will start to paint the bottom, if Rick gets the lights fixed and installed and is ready for us. we went to Goodwill to find Quentin some shorts to wear for painting. I couldn't find a pair that looked bad so he has a great pair of shorts that cost $2.00. Maybe we can paint carefully so they don't get crapped up!
Rick is out there pacing, so it's time to go to work.
Moon Jellyfish




No comments: