Saturday 12 March 2016

Mar 5-7

Mar 5-7
Honestly I have only vague recollection of the past 3 day's...mostly because the activities were so scattered and disjointed...
Whatever...Saturday was the volleyball? I told you Quentin won only one game. After volleyball he went back to Dolphin Leap to help Keith recover his halyard again.  Then he went off with T.J to Cookie Monster for a movie night and we went o play cards with Beguiler. They have a cool game called Sequence. It's not as bad losing that one as losing Euchre to Danny all the time!
This was also the day C-Soul left for Long Island we were sad to see them go but they will be back after the Long Island Regatta. We had thought about going but the cost was going to be prohibitive...there are 3 of us, not 2. Also, we are considering going to Rum Cay, with trees from Cordell, which makes more sense to us.
We ran the geniker up the mast and it looks like it will work, so Sunday Rick ran new halyards. Stephane and Angelica went to Long island as well, and they will be back sometime this week, so we should have all the blocks sorted out by the time he is ready to help out.
I am going to take apart my sewing machine to see if I can fix it myself. There is no-on here who can fix it and I have nothing to lose, because it does NOT work. I'm going to have to get someone else to finish Stephane's motor cover. It's no good to him sitting in my sewing bag!
Our wind generator is working well. Everyone says they are only a small part of the system but for us it's working really well, especially on cloudy days.
SUNDAY: Alesto gave a talk on more solar power and we listened, and got a bit more information, but we are really as set as we can be without re-building the back end of the boat. We dropped off some more seeds to Cordell. Then we came over to shore to the wrap up party, missed the presentation picked up my volunteer flag, and left again.  The winds were getting up and we needed to be here for Monday so we stayed.
MONDAY: Immigration day...we got another 30 days. I would really like to know why we are being targeted. Who did we piss off? Rick thinks it's because we are travelling with a minor who is not ours. I could understand that reasoning and I can live with it. But it would be nice if they would take us into the office and TELL US THAT!!! It's the power attitude that pisses me off.
We did some shopping, updated internet and then decided to go for dinner. I couldn't find anyplace that had rice and peas or peas and rice, so we ended up with burgers and fries ...yuck... no bun and heartburn!  But we met Bruce and Gayleen and her brother and partner, so we had dinner together and then went to the |rake and Scrape at Red Boone. Rick took a video of me dancing with |Bahama Obama and he's supposed to send it to the guy's website.  The man is an exceptional dancer and we had a good time.
Coming home there were 4 foot waves under the bridge and we got soaking wet... Quentin didn't but he was wrapped up tight in a poncho like a turtle. He only got his butt wet.
TUESDAY: It was still blowing hard when we went to school. I had a 5th Grade class and had no idea what to do with them until about 2 am. when it hit me. They were having Commonwealth Day soon, so I would have them do their Canada pictures and hope no-one else had done it.  I drew a map of Canada on the board and told them everything they needed to know about the animals the cities and the people. There is a great website with colouring pages, so that's what I printed...25 different ones! The kids asked lots of questions and we had a good class.
My Grade 9 class was cancelled according to the secretary, so I left early. Quentin found me a little while later and told me the students were looking for me but it was too late to go back and meet them.
We came back to the boat and moved back to the island side. Quentin and T>J. Met a new kid boat Yarika and they went for a movie night on it. Quentin took "Pirates" to watch.
THIs winter has been cold and windy...winds steady at 15-20 most of the time. Everyone is commenting on it, even the locals and it's hard to convince new boaters that it isn't always like this. There are many who have said they will not be back, and now that Cuba is opening up it may have an effect on the boater population next year.
Anyway, here are some pictures...


No comments: