Wednesday 22 April 2015

April 21-22 getting ready for Regatta



April 21 -22
I’m losing track of days again. I think today is Tuesday. Today we went to town because I had to meet with the school principal.  This school is not the high school, it’s a parochial school where people pay to send their kids [private school] So it turns out that I am to be the art teacher on a volunteer basis next year. There is one other small issue: this school is a part of the Anglican church. The principal is also the Minister of the Church and wanted to know if I would be coming to service once in a while, after she asked what my denomination was.  I guess I should learn to run the dinghy again. I don’t know if Rick will come with me!
We spent the morning talking about projects the kids could work on. She asked me what I do with my time on the boat, and then we got into so many other topics I can’t even remember them all…I think I’m in trouble here !
We wandered around town and met all kinds of people; Steve and Gloria [the summer marina managers from Lady’s Island  on Living Well] and ran into all the people from the taxi ride to the “Rake and Scrape” the night before. It was a good dance although I didn’t do much. It was too hot and my little friend was busy with younger faster feet! And we sat mostly with people we hadn’t met before and got to know other boaters.
It’s getting to the point where we actually only get one thing done a day! But I did finish my TCI revisions and sent them in.   So on to the next project… finish the one-year plan for the YMCA.
April 22,
This morning is the start of the Regatta; small dinghies first and later today the big boats. Today is cloudy and windy although the news says there is no wind. Hah! I checked the instruments and we have 11 knots right now and the little boats are flying around the course.
Today is going to be run-the-engine day because there is no sun to pump up the solar panels, and Ross lent his generator to Nautiwings who just bought the derelict boat in the harbour for $1.00!!!!
Tomorrow we are going to go on an historical tour of the whole island. This afternoon we will be going to take the truck up to the meat market. Prime Island Meat comes to the center with a pick-up and takes customers to their store to buy meats and cheese!  It’s about 4 miles from the centre of town. 
SO, gotta do some work now. Here are some pics.
Some of the Class A racers - big sails!!!

Now that's a flag!

No comments: