Wednesday 6 May 2015

May 6



May 6

Today we sold the other anchor and might have a found a spinnaker. There is a little Italian Trimaran who is going back across the Atlantic by himself. He says he doesn’t need a spinnaker and we have a storm sail that he can use. Rick took him the storm sail and now has gone back to check out the spinnaker. If this works… awesome!
Tomorrow we will install the gear Rick bought today to lift the dinghy. Of course, we can’t just do stuff that works…no matter what we do somehow we have to alter, adjust, re-structure or re-design the equipment. Nothing EVER fits the first time!
I went to the school today and worked with some Grade 5 boys who SAID they needed math help. I think they were looking to get out of class. We worked on division and they were faster than I was so we upped the anti -- I added 3 digits to the divisor and 7 digits to the dividend. [Aren’t you impressed that I actually remember those terms??] They were still good so I sent them back and then got a Grade 1 who was having such a hard problem reading that I felt like I was with Todd again. He could remember the words if you told him what they were and he saw them enough times on a page, but two or 3 pages later he had forgotten already. We get so little time and so few resources for these kids that it’s hard to feel like we’re accomplishing anything. I tried to have him read rhyming words [ cat, hat, fat, sat] but he didn’t get the gist of it.
I talked to C-Soul today. They are still in Florida, but it’s getting to close to end of season to be coming over then going back, so we will try to catch up with them in Florida somewhere when we go back with the boat. It has been super hot over there and I am so glad we were here but I feel sorry for them having to suffer through it. Hang in guys, next winter will be better!!!
SO no pics today although we wished we’d had  the camera. We took Diesel over to land with us, oh, and Jamie and Jules too. Diesel is so funny in the dinghy. He just leans on the pontoons as if he was born in a boat. He is a lovely calm dog despite the fact that he is a pitbull.
OK, so closing now so I can get dinner ready and then go to shore for the dance. Ttyl

No comments: