Thursday 7 May 2015

May 7



May 7, 2015
So the dance didn’t happen. By the time I got supper finished Rick was too tired. He didn’t say t but he moped around coughing and complaining of a headache…he has a way of ignoring my conversation and throwing in comments that suggest he has other plans. He has also picked up my cold.
But last night was something else! We started to watch a movie and he fell asleep. I couldn’t hear the dialogue over his snoring [barb knows what I mean] so I turned it off and fell asleep myself around 10:00.
At 12:30 I woke up because the boat was shaking and the lightening was making daylight! The winds were howling and I went out on deck to turn on the radio and instruments. The boat was bucking and slamming down into the waves. I couldn’t tell for sure where we were facing until I looked behind me and could see that we were about 100 feet from Jasmine City!  When we had anchored in the afternoon we had been about 100 yards off his starboard bow, beside him. Now we were practically underneath it!  Two boats had dragged and tangled anchors: one was Sea Venture… the boat without the motor and Dragonfly, a short but wide Cat.
I woke Rick up after about a half hour when nothing settled down just in case we had to pull in some anchor chain or move.  Stephane was awake and called us to say he thought we were ok, and that he had clocked the winds at 49 mph! We sat I the cockpit watching around us for what seemed like forever, listening to boats calling each other; checking up on everyone. We were awake until about 2:00 am when everything started to calm down, and the winds dropped to 15 knots. Rick fell right asleep but I couldn’t settle down and finally fell asleep after 3:00 after sitting n deck for awhile to be sure we were stable. This morning we realized that we had dragged a bit but that we had also turned sideways to the original wind direction, which is what put us in the path of Jasmine City. But everything was fine.
This morning we went to check out the spinnaker. Not a firm deal yet. Rick is helping fix the dock and the signs for the bridge with Dwayne on Boomdiada, another Canadian boat. Dwayne is the Volleyball organizer. This is their first year here too, and they are leaving their boat here and flying home for the summer to live with relatives…sound familiar?
 Julie, his wife told me today that there is a surprise party for one of the boaters at 4 pm today. She will turn 50 in November but this is her 49.5 birthday party because her partner is never able to surprise her so this is it! She put it out on the Net this morning; how she’s going to keep it a surprise is beyond me… unless her partner was still sleeping, EVERYONE hears the net because all the boats have it on so it’s like super stereo. So we will go over and party with everyone… Rick wants to do THAT but not dance. Humphf!
The sky was cloudy when we got up but had cleared completely by 9:00 am; now it’s cloudy again. This is summer here…gotta start working with those programs Stephane gave to us. I have a feeling he knew exactly what was coming last night, eh, Stephane?

No comments: