Saturday 30 May 2015

Satrday May 30



May 30
As I as sitting at the helm, playing with the sails in 7 knots of wind and wishing we had more so we could shut off the engine, I  watch the clouds drift across the sky and realize how serene it was being in the middle of nowhere, absolutely no land in sight with the sun beating on my back [it’s 8:00 am and we have already gone 8 miles].  The water is fairly flat and turquoise…only 12 feet deep. No other boats  in sight, and I love it.
So my question is…am I content or lazy? It has been a whole year since we moved onto the boat, and have I done any of the things that I had planned to do? I can’t even remember what some of them were!  My day[s] consist of getting up, start the engine, sail/motor. When we have reached the last way point, put down the anchor and make dinner, wash the dishes and go to bed, when my eyes won’t stay open to finish the blog…usually around 9:00 pm. That’s generally a 15 hour day outside. Sometimes swimming if there’s time or walking a beach.   SO … lazy or content?
We traveled 56 miles yesterday from Manjack Cay to Great Sail Cay. There were about 20 boats in the bay when we arrived… most of them passed us at some point through the day, and will probably pass us again. But they gave us a good head start! We left at 7:00 this morning and they haven’t appeared on the horizon yet! Although it’s a bit hard to tell, looking directly east into the sun.
                I feel rather sad about leaving here, maybe because it is so laid back and no stress. There are so many expectations when we get back to Canada. Not sure we can manage them all.
I think I have developed an allergy to Snickers Bars! Every time I eat one my skin starts to itch so badly I’d like to peel it off. Damn!!  I’m going to try a few more just to be sure. We have been rationing them. ..half at a time.  Good thing we will be in the States soon. They are very expensive here.
Rick baked bread today… he’s out of bread too! And made some crackers… like the veggie thins only with herbs . They are awesome.
So…later that same day …no allergy to the Snickers bar! Whew!                I think I just need to rehydrate my skin.
We landed in West End at 5:50 pm. 10 minutes ahead of my projected arrival time. What a pain!! Three boats all coming in at the same time and of course we are last in line. The first guy gets in ok. He passed us and has obviously been here before. The middle guy is looking for a special dock so he can back in, and then wants directions on how to get to customs. In the meantime I am waiting for a dock assignment and am in the Marina when someone tells me to tie up on the west wall.  Seriously!??!?!There are four mega yachts along there and you want me to squeeze into that tiny little space?  And there are supposed to be 2 guys there to help. So I said to Rick we are not going in there…I will turn us around and tie up on the dock across the “road”. As I start to turn up one of the “streets”  a sport fisher comes roaring up behind me, and has to stop. Because I am NOT hurrying to accommodate anyone!  I manage to get us turned enough so I can dock but now the guy is yelling at me to come over to the wall. So I back up between the mega yachts and pull into my “parking space”. I must be getting good because Rick didn’t even yell at me this time. And we are facing the right way to get away in the morning. We talked to the owner of the HUGE Hatteras behind us, former Navy guy Larry and his wife Deb and two of their kids, from Colorado. Really nice people.
There is a sport fisher up in front of the restaurant playing really loud, really obnoxious country music. I think he is trying to drown out the Junkanoo band playing on the dock.  It’s Saturday… party night.  Had we only know we would have anchored out, but I SO want a shower and their internet is free… no, actually it isn’t… the dock space s $3.00/foot and $15.00 for water so we are downloading TV shows we missed and filling out water tank.  The Hatteras and the big boat in front of him are both leaving early so we won’t be the first ones out of the harbour.
SO Gulf Stream tomorrow … 5knots of wind more or less…another 12 hours  [52 miles] Going for my shower and we will talk again when I get the US internet us and running!


No comments: