Tuesday 17 March 2015

March 16-17 Happy St. Paddy's Day



March 16

Okay... we made it through the Ides of March without incident! In fact we did better than we expected. We [ I use the royal  “we” meaning Rick] thought we would be anchored on the Banks again last night before we pushed into the Northwest Channel but as luck would have it [and I do mean luck!] the winds picked up and I convinced him [ I whined] to keep going. We were able to make the extra 13 miles into Chub Cay well before the sun went down. It was calm and quiet except for the mega yachts and sport fishers [yes, over here, too] running up the channel to go the marina.

So today we are heading down to Nassau under questionable skis. The non-existent southeast winds are truly non-existent...they are from the Northeast at 8-15 knots and there are towering cumulus clouds [see, Brian, I did pay attention to your lectures!] with stratus clouds mixed in. It is flowing southwest and we are heading southeast so we will be fine. In fact the front line is passing over us and we are in clear skies right now. The winds are picking up and we are flying [okay 6 knots!] Sunscreen time!

There are schools [flocks??] of flying fish all over the place this morning. I hear they are good to eat but you have to catch them first. They are the size of sardines ...with wings.

We will probably stay in Nassau for two days. It’s time to change the oil and the drive oil. We need some groceries and I need the Internet!!

We are sailing down the Tongue of the Ocean. Cool name, eh? This part is very deep. We are back out on the Atlantic. It is a bit rough but we are managing to get some good winds. And we will arrive in Nassau before dark.   As we approach the harbour, we can see cruise ships leaving. Before we can enter the harbour, w have to get permission from the Nassau Harbour Control. We sailed past the cruise ship docks and up into the channel where the marinas are. I called Offline on the radio and found that I was right beside them. So we turned and anchored behind them. After supper we went over for a visit Carol has found some cool grocery stores and tomorrow we will go shopping. Mostly I need to find the Internet access.

Its 9:40 pm  and a tour boat just went down the channel playing the worst rap music I have ever heard...vulgar and disgusting, and I really hope it wasn’t LL Cool J because I would have to stop watching NCIS LA but it sure sounded like him.

Bedtime! Still trying to catch up on the sleep I missed the other night!


March 17- Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

I can’t believe it has been almost 6 months since we left Owen Sound. Sometimes it feels like last week and sometimes [okay most days] I can’t remember where I was last week or what I did!

It’s 8:30 am and I can’t get onto the ‘free’ internet that is 25 feet from us on shore. Grrrrrrr! SO I will take this pc when we go to shore, pay some stupid price for a drink so I can access the internet. We could find a store that sells the booster rods but we’d have to look them up on the internet and WE CAN’T GET ON IT!

Sitting in the cockpit having breakfast we are watching 5 cruise ships manoeuvre in the slips, the biggest one being...drum roll...the DISNEY cruise ship. We can tell, not just because of the mouse ears on the funnels, and the graphics on the back [Mickey in his sorcerer’s costume and three broomsticks that are all hanging on ropes and swing when the boat moves. Like who can see that? ] But the horn doesn’t just blow... it plays the Disney theme!!!]

Of course, it’s March Break for Canada and some US states. The town will be a zoo today. But that’s okay, the cruise ship guests won’t be grocery shopping!

I will post pictures as soon as I get a stable I’net connection. Right now we are pirating off an Ashram {?!?!] connection. There are old people doing yoga on the dock in the sun. Who knew they still existed??

So next year I want to go on a Disney Cruise. Anybody want to come with me? You have to be under 16 unless accompanied by a child!
Let you know later how today goes! Have a good one!

No comments: